Friday, April 29, 2016

Last day of National Poetry Month...

...and so I want to share with you all my favorite poem.  Technically it's just a stanza from a much longer poem and while I think the poem as a whole is pretty cool, this one stanza seems to jump out and grab me.

And all the woe that moved him so, 
That he gave that bitter cry,
And the wild regrets and bloody sweats,
none knew so well as I;
For he who lives more lives then one,
more deaths then one must die. 

~The Ballad of Reading Goal by Oscar Wilde

Why do I like this so much?  Because to me it explains why I laugh over books, weep over books, get mad and pitch books across a room.  This is what it means to be a reader.  You are exposed to countless worlds and people.  You experience loss and joy, you live over and over and over.  To be a reader is to live more lives then one.

I hope you all enjoyed poetry month.  We loved seeing what you constructed on the poetry door!  If you are interested in learning more about poetry, stop by and we can direct you to some really good books.

No comments:

Post a Comment